Monday, July 2, 2012

Craig: So today I believe I have found the deciphered words for LISSILMA.  LUSSI Vol. 1 p. 84 and ILNU Vol 5, p. 59.  Also today I forgot my notebook at home with all my decipherment information and notes in and today has been tedious trying to decipher without my notebook.  But, from what I have gone over today I believe I will use the work SAGKIMAN for SAKIMA.  On another note, for Myron I went to Vol. 5 p. 55 to look at the other words for KOLAWIL and I do not see how those can be a decipherment for this word, although I must admit I did consider those words originally but decided against it because I could not see how they could fit the decipherment for KOLAWIL.  Tomorrow I will work on the design layout some more as suggested by Myron, also tomorrow I will start working a bit later than usual and from home so I probably will not have a post up around 4 pm like I usually do.
Thanks
Craig

1 comment:

  1. Craig

    Here is what I saw. I saw a phrase made of two Norse words smashed together. I did not document the "wil" which we have already done.

    Original English = beautiful head
    Sound = ko la wil
    Lenape = Ke loo (se) wil 5.55, ?? 1, 2, 3
    Old Norse = g lae (sa) ??
    Norse/English handsome well 4

    1. Vowels are interchangeable.
    2. The "se" is a syllable that might been missed by the recorders.
    3. The "will" appears to fit with the last phrase. Together the "will lissil" might have mean something like "do it well."
    The stanza maker had the option of moving "wil" to make the Drottkvaett format work. We cannot expect a perfect English context.
    4. The recorders wrote down "beautiful." There is much evidence that the Lenape speaker did much of the translating because the recorders knew only "mission Lenape." The Lenape in the missions used a simplified version of their language so the missionaries could communicare.

    In this case, the Lenape speaker may have been saying "Ke loo (se)" and he may have told the recorders that the word meant "beautiful," The recorders may have missed the "se" and may have accepted the speakers translation. Then they may have stuck the "will" word on the end of the phrase.

    The Drottkvaett format will tell us if this reasoning is the better decipherment.

    ReplyDelete